Monday, August 4, 2008

Die Hannoversche musikalischer Kanaldeckel

So a few times returning to Hannover, I happened to notice there appeared to be music coming from underground. No big deal, I thought, probably someone busking in the subway underneath, or something. After a while I became accustomed to it, and it just became part of the scenery. I even started to wonder what in particular was producing the music, as it plays 24 hours a day. All the same, I never really gave it too much thought.

Until a friend visited this weekend and asked why a group of teens were sitting around a sewer grate in the middle of the pedestrian walkway, and then I finally realized that yeah, a sewer grate that plays music is actually pretty odd. The funny thing is that other students in this city had independently come across it and had a similar experience. Apparently it is just one of those things in Hannover that everyone notices but passes off.

Bizarre.

And the craziest thing is the complete and utter lack of explanation. See here. Something a tourist here would never find. I guess I can consider myself at least partly Hannoverian.


"Wer die liebenswerten, augenzwinkernden Besonderheiten von Hannover kennenlernen möchte, sollte sich den Kanaldeckel nicht entgehen lassen."

Whoever wants to get to know the lovable, quirky characteristics of Hannover cannot avoid the Kanaldeckel.

No comments: