Sunday, July 13, 2008

Amsterdam

 
DSC03888
When I say Amsterdam, what do you think of?

If you're my age, you think of legalized pot and the Red Light District. If you are my grandparents', you think of tulips
DSC03768
and canals.
DSC03714
Well this city contains all those things, and everything in between. And bikes. Lots of bikes.
DSC03696

So sit right down and I'll tell you a tale of the most rockenest city in the Lowlands.

When I stepped off the train and out the doors of Amsterdam's Centraal Station,
DSC03728
 
 
it was no word of a lie to say that I stepped into the biggest party I've ever attended.
 
DSC03733
I don't smoke grass
DSC03734
or indulge in the consumption of hallucinogenic fungus, nor was I very interested in making the acquaintance of the lovely women in skimpy clothes winking at me from their windows,
DSC03747
but the atmosphere of everyone having a good time sure did rub off onto me. People who hang out in central Amsterdam love life, and I feel that I also gained the same appreciation while there.

All this culture is set in the middle of a medieval city, complete with canals, bajillions of bridges,
DSC03812
DSC03853
 
and bajajajajillions of narrow, gabled houses. Bizarre, but in an awesome way.
DSC03879
DSC03861
DSC03886 
I had my share of problems during my trip, but everything that went wrong could not even begin to change my opinion of the city, which was just great in every sense of the word. Highly recommended to all.
 
DSC03830

No comments: