Sunday, May 11, 2008

Er fahrt sehr gut

One of the best things about learning a new language is finding unintentionally funny phrases. There's a lot of German words that sound similar but mean completely different things in English, making for some interesting misunderstandings and some fun language classes. I'm sure that the same occurs when anyone listens to me attempt to speak German.

The nice thing is, this gives me a get out of jail free card. I can walk up to some huge guy, tell him that his mother wears army boots in German, and then say that it was a misunderstanding because I speak English. We can both laugh about it as he beats the living tar out of me.

In fact, it also works the other way too.

Me: "Your mother was a hamster and your father reeked of elderberries!"
Random passerby: "What?"
Me: "Ha ha. Entschuldigung. Ich spreche Deutsch. I meant to say: 'What a nice day for a walk outside!' "


.......and because I can't help myself:

Germans like to fahrt. Many look forward to enjoying long, relaxing fahrts. Often, they will fahrt together and enjoy food while fahrt-ing. There's nothing better to help you forget about work than to just unwind while you fahrt. I am fahrt-ing right now, and have been for more than a week now. I think everybody enjoys a nice, relaxing fahrt.


Edit: Now I actually understand the language, I realize that the word I was looking for was reisen, or perhaps feiren, but not fahren. Let it stand, however, to be proof of my naievetee. And let the last word show that I still have no idea how to spell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mann ist was mann isst!

whoo german puns!

once again

raging jealousy