Thursday, May 1, 2008

Annnnd......Blastoff!

So in less than 24 hours I'll be over the Atlantic, on my first ever flight, first time leaving the country*, let alone on my own, first time going somewhere English is not ubiquitous, first time at a hostel, first time navigating a city's public transit alone.....I could go on all day.

As much as it sounds like I should be nervous, I'm really not. Perhaps just because at this point everything is out of my hands. If anything goes wrong, it won't be my fault (and so I can blame someone else :) ). Maybe that speaks for having adequate preparation, but the next closest thing I've ever done was move to university, and then I was nervous about the experience for months beforehand. I think I might just be mellowing out.

Or maybe I'm just naive. We'll see :D

I have definitely found myself saying more and more that I will have to just solve any problems that come up on the fly (like catching trains in Frankfurt and public transit in Berlin), as there is no way I can prepare for the millions of backup plans I would need otherwise. And thank goodness, I think I would have smacked the neurotic me that used to get so worked up about planning.

Regardless of it all, I am getting unbelievably excited for this trip. I can't begin to describe it. I look forward to seeing what life is actually like on the other side of the pond, versus what I've gleaned from tv and books. And maybe I'll see a sight or two while I'm there. You never know.

The next time anything appears here I'll be in Berlin, rockin' hard. Should be good times. Stories will follow.

So.... Tschuss Kanada, Hallo Deutschland!


*I don't count a trip to Kentucky when I was 10

No comments: