Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Frosh-watching

There's a new pastime that's sweeping the nation, and one can only engage in it for a limited time. You've heard of people-watching, well, for those of you not content with merely watching people, now you can watch frosh.

It wasn't too long ago I came to University from High School, and so I still remember quite well how I felt upon getting to my school for the first time. Which makes it all the more interesting to watch the brand new first-year students run around, trying to show off/look tough/pick up/get picked up and/or have people in awe of them as they brag about high school achievements. And they travel in packs. I would think some of what I see from the students were actual confidence and not just being loud an insecure, if it weren't for the fact that they cannot do anything alone. I'm aware of my hypocrisy, I was once in the exact same position, doing the exact same. But I think that gives me licence to make fun. I've done my time.

If I didn't have frosh-watching to amuse me, the 20-minute wait in line to get a coffee as they all ordered smoothies would have really pissed me off. And I got stares for being alone (heaven forbid) and drinking coffee. Oh, the naivete.

No comments: